Since we need to deploy Java 6 update 115, more blah blah
After a few failed starts getting Java to update via WSUS Package Publisher, I’ve taken one more try. Here are the steps I used to successfully deploy Java 6 update 115. The process should work for any Java version.
- Download the latest Java installer either from the public site, or from Oracle Metalink if you are using a non-public copy.
- Run the installer, but do not start the installation. Navigate to “%LOCALAPPDATA%LowSunJava” and copy the jre1.x.x_xxx folder to another location.
- Repeat for the x64 installer if needed.
- Edit the MSI to disable the auto-updater, reboot, etc. per http://ivan.dretvich.com/2011/06/how-to-package-and-deploy-java-jre-1-6-0_26-via-group-policy/
- Make a note of the product code while you are editing the MSI, you will need it later on.
- I set the updater off, ie/firefox plugins on, accept eula by setting EULA=0, rebootyesno to no
- Log into your WSUS server and copy the files over to your distribution holding folder.
- Deploy via WSUS using https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/122612-how-to-deploy-java-to-clients-using-wsus-package-publisher
- Make sure you include the data1.cab and any relevant MST’s otherwise the install might not work.
- Approve and test the deployment.